Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The Ocean

So, I was scavenging through some of my old assignments throughout my high school career, and I found some poetry that I created. Now, I was never really too big into poetry, but for some reason, this was one assignment that I was pretty proud of. The main purpose of this was to write a free verse poem in the style of George Whitfield (I think, to be completely honest, I don't remember who it was, but he's my best guess). Anyway, without further adue, here is the poem created in my sophomore year (and yes, I know there is a made up word in there, that was a part of the assignment). I hope you enjoy it!

I was walking along the beach on a mid-summer day
Enjoying the fresh cool breeze running through my hair
Enjoying the warm water waking up my feet with its soothing touch
Enjoying the sounds of the ocean on a far-off distance singing its gentle song
My eyes caught the sight of two children running rapidly towards a ravishing wave
The wave crashed down on the children and swallowed them whole
But the children quickly ripped through the water and sprinted back to the shore in laughter
The wave slithered its way back to the ocean blue in a feeling of despair
Like that of a man failing to achieve his dream job he has yearned to receive
Its failure to golobble the children whole has left it to retire in self-pity
As the ocean tends to touch the tormented wounds of mortal men
It’s also keen to hide its second face that most men do not see
But thus that is the way of the ocean in times of old and new

No comments:

Post a Comment